Plan your Visit

Open 2nd & 4th Sundays
1-4 pm
Also during community events
and by appointment

Admission by Donation

There is no Event

Trolley Station Museum

The Boonsboro Trolley Station Museum is located within the town’s original trolley station building at at the intersection of North Main Street and Shafer Park Drive.    Electric trolleys served Boonsboro from 1902 until 1938.  

Step inside of this restored station to learn about the Hagerstown & Frederick Railway – an electric trolley system which served Washington and Frederick Counties of Maryland, including Boonsboro, and reached into southern Pennsylvania.

Boonsboro Trolley Station in the 1920s
The Trolley Station as it appeared during the railways' heyday in the 1920s. Today the trolley weather canopy has been removed from the front of the building. (Courtesy PA Trolley Museum)

Located at 220 N. Main Street, the Boonsboro Trolley Station is the last surviving trolley station in Washington County, Maryland and was dedicated as a museum on September 12, 2009.

The museum was redeveloped thanks to a Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area grant in 2023. 

The museum is now open on the 2nd & 4th Sundays May – October from 1pm to 4pm, by appointment, and during events.


In its heyday, the local electric railway company served passenger and freight needs of over two dozen communities across a nearly 90-mile network of tracks.  From Boonsboro, passengers could take a trolley to Hagerstown, or to Frederick  Middletown, Myersville, Hagerstown, Thurmont, Williamsport and several other Maryland communities, and to Shady Grove, Chambersburg, Greencastle and Waynesboro in Pennsylvania.  

While trolley service in Boonsboro ended in 1938, the electric railway continued to serve Washington County until 1947 and Frederick County until 1955.  

Within the walls of the town’s restored trolley station, visitors will learn about the station and industries which once surrounded it, the history of trolleys in both Washington and Frederick counties, the impact trolleys once had on the region and how the trolley network continues to impact lives today. 

Trolley traveling down the tracks with old automobiles in the distance.
H&F Electric Trolley #150 alongside Mapleville Road in the 1920s.
An electric trolley car approaching across a steel truss bridge.
Hagerstown & Frederick #150 crossing Beaver Creek while traveling from Hagerstown to Boonsboro. Courtesy H&FRHS
It is the last remaining trolley station in Washington County.

Other Resources

This museum is operated in partnership with the Hagerstown & Frederick Railway Historical Society, Inc.

Alternate Link To Exhibit Multimedia Elements

Visitor Information

The museum is currently open from 1-4pm on 2nd & 4th Sundays from May through October,  by appointment, and during select community events. 

To make an appointment, please email: